Thareed is a delectable traditional meat or vegetable stew in UAE. This popular dish is generally associated with Ramadan. People love to make Thareed for iftar during this holy month because it is light on the stomach. Thareed is completely healthy and favorable, as it is full of carbohydrates, fibers, proteins and starches. It is a great combination of meat, vegetables, Emirati bread and Arabic spices that make it absolutely Delicious.
The key ingredient of this dish is Regag Emirati bread. Regag is very thin and crispy bread that is easily available in markets. As the bread softens in the hearty lamb soup, it becomes mouthwatering and easier to digest.
So, feeling crave for Thareed? Here is a simple recipe for this tasty meal. Learn how to make it, and try this traditional dish.
- Lamb’s shoulder cut into pieces — 1 kg (2 Pounds)
- Potatoes — 2 large, peeled and quartered
- Carrot – 2 large, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- Courgettes/ Summer Zucchini — 2, peeled and chopped
- Tomato – 2, cut into chunks
- Large Onion — 1, finely chopped
- Garlic – 4 clove, peeled and crushed
- Ginger – 5 cm piece, peeled and chopped
- Tomato paste — 1 tablespoon
- Clarified butter/Oil/Ghee – half cup
- Ground Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder — 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick — 6 cm piece
- Coriander powder — 1 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder — 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder — ½ teaspoon
- Ground Cumin — ½ teaspoon
- Dried lemon — 1 small
- Green chili — 2-3 pieces
- Water — 1 liter
- Salt as per taste
- Regag Emirati bread — 3-5 pieces
1:30 Hours Approximately
- Boil the lamb meat in a large pot until almost tender. Remove the foam when it starts to boil and reserve stock. Boiling timing is about 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onions until they get golden brown color. Then add crushed garlic and ginger and stir well until fragrant.
- Add the boiled lamb meat, mix well and add all ground spices and salt as well. Then simmer and cook for around 1 hour until the lamb is cooked.
- Add the tomato paste and water, and then cover and simmer it for 2 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables and mix together with meat and sauce.
- Add more water, if needed to make this stew a bit soupy.
- Cover it and simmer until the vegetables are almost done.
- Break the raqaq bread into pieces and add one layer of bread in a large deep-sided
- Pour the liquid sauce from the stew over the bread and let it soak through.
- Ladle the meat and vegetables over the soaked bread.
- Garnish it with lemons and green chili
- You can also make it with chicken or other meat instead of lamb stew. If you’re using chicken, then there is no need to boil it.
- You can use Pita Bread or khubouz Irani or any other flat bread instead of Regag
- You can also add nutmeg powder and dry chili flakes to make it tastier.
- You can also use different other vegetables to make a variation of this dish.
- Serve it with Chapatti/roti or Nan and Enjoy! So Delicious!!!